Hudson River Trading (HRT) is looking for an organized, empathetic, and hands-on Developer Support Engineer to join our “Help” team with a focus on supporting macOS. People at HRT are encouraged to code solutions to their problems, no matter what their job function or title is. As such, the Support Engineer will be a subject-matter expert, managing problems as they come up in day-to-day support of our software development-centric employee population. As the subject-matter expert, we will rely on you to keep the day-to-day running smoothly and you will have the opportunity to deliver highly visible solutions, assist in improving business operations, and participate in a dynamic, changing industry. This position will also be responsible for finding and reporting on systemic issues and guiding solutions via escalations to platform engineering, ensuring solutions to issues reach users as quickly as possible.
- As a Support Engineer, you’ll be one of the first points of contact for any IT-related requests or issues that HRT employees may experience.
- You’ll be involved in one of the highest-paced, unique support structures anywhere; inquiries for support don’t go unanswered for longer than 10 minutes.
- You’ll administer and support macOS configurations and records of everything end-users face as well as own the data reporting and cleanup. macOS endpoints include desktops or laptops, mobile devices, printers, and any peripherals in a hybrid working environment.
- In addition to solving day-to-day issues, you’ll be responsible for understanding why they occur and providing long-term solutions to prevent them from happening again.
- You will serve as a technical lead on projects involving our support teams. When needed, you’ll be the hands, eyes, and ears of other teams to provide hands-on assistance for systems and applications and have clear cross-team communication.
- You’ll be suggesting recommendations based on requests from various departments and locations, run the required research, and test various potential solutions on a global scale.
- Deep knowledge and experience with macOS and other operating systems
- Prior experience in a Support Engineering role and the ability to manage your daily functions while assisting on projects and handling recurring tasks independently.
- Expertise not only troubleshooting issues and finding their root causes, but also clearly documenting steps taken to troubleshoot and ensuring they don’t reoccur.
- A deep understanding of the usual OSs and endpoints - how to provision, deploy, and maintain them; what protects them; and the software that runs on them.
- Advanced familiarity with endpoint management tools and/or modern MDM / UEM style tools.
- Experience scripting with at least 1 language such as Python or Shell with demonstrable results. You can speak to how they can be used to deploy packages and automate tasks.
- You know `git,` what it does and how ci/cd pipelines function enough to troubleshoot.
- occasional nights and weekends as required, up to 15% of the time
- Experience working with collaboration tools, conferencing systems, remote IT tools, and ticketing systems is crucial.
- Possess a “no task too small” attitude. You are the type of person who will code a solution one day and swap a keyboard the next, or travel between sites to do whatever is necessary to get the job done.
- An understanding of networking and server systems, along with expert troubleshooting techniques when connecting to them.
- The ability to speak in technical and non-technical jargon, and translate both into comprehendible documentation and requirements company-wide.
- The ability to empathize with the end user and craft solutions to help them swiftly while under stress.
- The ability to make decisions on day-to-day support questions without needing to check with the leadership team for guidance.
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.