Hudson River Trading is hiring a Senior Legal Counsel for its Shanghai office. This is a new position that will be responsible for all legal work in China. As the most senior leader for HRT’s Legal Department in China, your focus will be on the regulatory landscape related to both onshore (JV, PFM) and offshore China trading. You’ll contribute heavily to or take the lead on assessing the application of exchange rules (e.g. self trades, etc.), and regulatory rules related to the overall operation of an asset management business. As Senior Counsel, you will be responsible for the negotiation of all documents related to the China business – brokerage, technology, etc., and work on the application of privacy rules to the business and all other aspects of HRT’s business in China.
- Engage with local regulatory bodies in coordination with HRT’s global legal team to advise on legal and regulatory matters in China
- Identify and mitigate legal risks in China and work with the business to assess risks and controls, as they relate to the legal and regulatory landscapes impacting the region and company operations
- Manage business filings in China and respond to both local internal and external legal inquiries
- Draft relevant policies related to HRT’s business in China to ensure compliance with relevant rules
- Provide legal and regulatory advice on a broad range of issues affecting HRT’s business, including establishing new entities and obtaining new licenses, and ongoing regulatory requirements
- Advise and liaise with HRT’s compliance team on a wide range of issues, such as interpretation of regulations and regulatory matters
- Represent the firm in communications with various regulators, including participation in onsite regulatory inspections
- Draft and negotiate contracts, ensuring all contracts, legal documents, and templates are up-to-date and compliant with local laws
- 10+ years experience as a licensed attorney
- Strong drafting and excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Mandarin
- Experience working in a senior capacity in-house for a global company
- Experience dealing with legal and regulatory issues associated with the financial industry in China, particularly in asset management
- Strong commercial acumen and contract negotiation skills
- Ability to synthesize rules, provide assessment of legal risk, and propose solutions
- Adept at developing interpersonal relationships, and a great team player
- Ability to think broadly and respond quickly when incidents arise and to engage appropriate stakeholders
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we welcome a variety of expertise: mathematics and computer science, physics and engineering, media and tech. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automation in every part of our organization—from trading, to business operations, to recruiting and beyond. We value openness and transparency, and celebrate great ideas from HRT veterans and new hires alike. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues – whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Feel like you belong at HRT? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are we’d love to get to know you.