Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 70+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Optiver Chicago’s culture parallels the energetic city we’re immersed in. Home to the Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago Board Options Exchange, and Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago has established itself as the trading capital of the US. Active on leading US exchanges, Optiver’s Chicago office trades a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
What you’ll do:
As a Software Engineer at Optiver, you will play a crucial role in maintaining industry-leading proprietary trading systems. Experience the thrill of tight feedback loops; you could be working on a change to a trading system in the morning and see it running live in the afternoon. This is your opportunity to build high-performance software, develop trading algorithms, manage low-latency connectivity and everything in between.
Optiver's success lies in our humility and company-wide eagerness to continually challenge ourselves, improve and grow. Does this sound like the ideal environment for you? Then you might be the Graduate Software Engineer we’re looking for.
Engineering systems at Optiver:
Engineering is at the core of our trading strategies. Trading is a complex and unpredictable environment which requires our systems to be fast, reliable and precise. Our engineers analyze hundreds of terabytes of data, enabling us to automatically price diverse sets of financial instruments with extremely low error tolerance. Our infrastructure is a combination of 10,000 highly customized components and 600 different applications, which run on 1,500 servers distributed globally. We deal with 14,000 releases and 35,000 changes per year.
Who you are:
- Graduating with a BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related technical field between December 2022 and June 2023
- Knowledge of algorithms, data structure, concurrency and systems programming concepts
- Experience coding in C++, C# or Java
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with developers, traders and business operations on a daily basis
- Excitement to learn options trading and apply this knowledge toward well-crafted solutions
Don’t worry, you won't be expected to have previous knowledge of the financial industry! You’ll take part in a training program where you’ll learn everything you need to know.
What you’ll get:
- Work alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- Performance based bonus structure that is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
- Ownership over initiatives that directly solve business problems.
Alongside this you will get great other benefits such as 25 paid vacation days and market holidays, fully paid commuting expenses and health insurance, daily breakfast and lunch, training opportunities, 401(k) match up to 50% and charitable match opportunities, regular social events and clubs, and many more.
*We accept one application per role per year. If you have previously applied to this position during this season and have been unsuccessful, you can reapply once the next recruitment season begins in 2023.