Apex Fintech Solutions (AFS) powers innovation and the future of digital wealth management by processing millions of transactions daily, to simplify, automate, and facilitate access to financial markets for all. Our robust suite of fintech solutions enables us to support clients such as Stash, Betterment, SoFi, and WeBull, and more than 20 million of our clients' customers.
Collectively, AFS creates an environment in which companies with the biggest ideas in fintech are empowered to change the world. We are based in Dallas, TX and also have offices in Austin, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Portland, and Belfast Ireland.
If you are seeking a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where you'll have the opportunity to make and immediate impact, and you have the guts to change everything, this is the place for you.
AFS has received a number of prestigious industry awards, including:
- 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 Best Wealth Management Company - presented by Fintech Breakthrough Awards
- 2021 Most Innovative Companies - presented by Fast Company
- 2021 Best API & Best Trading Technology - presented by Global Fintech Awards
This is an incredible opportunity for a Senior Director of Software Engineering to join Apex's Engineering team in Chicago. As Senior Director - Software Engineering you will work closely with other managers, tech leads, and business teams building products and services for customers of Apex Clearing's suite of financial back office solutions. The Sr. Director of Software Engineering will be an integral part of our team supporting the technology organization in a transformation toward highly scalable, API based, systems. In this role you will be responsible for building a team, leading technical work, planning and execution for engineering projects. You will support technical work and where possible you will be a direct technical contributor. You will implement a repeatable project delivery process so that we can readily manage and deliver projects.
We're looking for someone who:
- Is experienced and introspective. You have extensive experience developing software products and services across a variety of tools, frameworks, and environments. You recognize your strengths and also know when to reach out for help
- Is passionate. You have a genuine passion for solving interesting technology problems with creative and simple solutions.
- Is pragmatic. You'd rather deliver a 40% solution in 2 weeks than an 80% solution in six
- Is collaborative. You're excited to work with fellow engineers, but also know how to partner across departments to get things done
- Wants to make an impact. You're looking to do amazing work. You're all about using technology to improve the customer experience and affect the company's bottom line, but also want to mentor and coach those within your team
What you will do all day:
- Effectively build and manage a team to execute on building an Advisory product and an API Hub that supports a 3rd party ecosystem.
- Lead project planning activities and facilitate project meetings, ensuring the project team delivers against its commitments with the highest quality deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Leveraging strong project management industry expertise and collaboration skills, identify required activities to successfully deliver the program, ensuring appropriate task assignments are in place.
- Provide project progress reports to project team, stakeholders, management, and executives.
- Build collaborative and productive relationships by partnering with team members and external stakeholders to help accomplish key business objectives.
- Have strong understanding of business and technical problems that teams are solving, able to work with stakeholders and teams to prioritize, clarify, and organize team’s work based on this knowledge.
- Identify risks, perform risk analysis, effectively manage risks; proactively raise prioritization and scheduling tradeoff decisions, escalating and identifying alternate options as appropriate; Follow defined Risk Management processes
- Assess existing processes and identify opportunity for improvement
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We're a leader in the space. Apex is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling fintech standouts like Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We've got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation. So you get all the benefits of a proven, growing company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture
- We see tech differently. You'll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate engineers dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customers' problems.
- Your work will have an immediate impact. You'll be able to see your direct impact on our tech department and with our clients. You won't be just another talented engineer chained to a desk slinging lines of code.
The skills you’ll need to succeed:
- Proven track record hiring software engineers
- Proven track record managing teams
- People-focused approach to personnel management
- Readiness to travel occasionally
- Experience gathering and translating business and technical requirements
- Strong sense of personal accountability
- Deep expertise in Java (or other modern software languages like .NET or Go)
- Experience with REST and microservices
- Expertise in Agile and other software development methodologies and practices
Financial services background preferred
**For US Residents Only - Apex currently requires all employees as a condition of employment to either be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or submit to regular testing. The CDC defines "fully vaccinated" as two weeks after the second dose for Pfizer and Moderna, and two weeks after the single dose of Johnson & Johnson. Apex Clearing will also require proof of vaccination and/or testing. Apex will also consider requests for exemption from these requirements as a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs.**