The energy transition requires the development of new business opportunities for Shell, together with the development of new technologies and technology areas. Shell has concluded that in this transition integrated, inextricably linked renewable ecosystems are key and will provide the renewable electrical power to reduce carbon footprint of our operations and products. An important element of this strategy is the assessment and development of concepts and technologies to electrify current and future assets in Manufacturing sectors. Electrification is one of the key enablers to achieve deep carbonization next to other technologies such as CCS or NBS. If you are a highly motivated technical expert in the field of electrification and renewable power solutions who is committed to contribute to this vision of Shell then this role is an opportunity for you to realize this ambition.
Where you fit in -
This role focuses on developing and deploying electrothermal and electrification technologies to support industrial electrification.
An ambitious goal of the Electrification Platform is to have de-risked electrification technology (such as electric heating and heat storage) at scale, so that the manufacturing site of the future could be powered by green power with the same level of safety and reliability as today’s plants at a comparable profitability and investment level. Technologies to be evaluated include: e-heaters, e-boilers, heat-storage, e-drives, heat pumps, and solutions to support large scale industrial electrification. Since industrial heat from fossil origin contributes significantly to Shell’s CO2 footprint, part of the program focusses on green power-to-heat and heat storage.
Significant R&D or operational experience is beneficial. Affinity with renewables required. Interaction with assets is crucial to better understand what direct and indirect challenges related to electrification need to be overcome and what R&D is required. Close collaboration between P&T and the businesses (conventional, renewable and other hard to abate sectors) will lead to the identification of pilot and demonstration opportunities in existing assets in order to learn how to effectively integrate electrical equipment into existing systems and displace conventional processes.
The role is responsible for overseeing and managing project budgets when serving as or supporting the project lead.
More specifically, your role will include:
• Build and deliver long term R&D funnel on electrification
• Support Team Lead and Senior Technologist to deliver results against established key performance indicators for the Electro-thermal theme for the Electrification of Demand Moonshot
• Identify opportunities and lead the assessment and development of electrification opportunities globally. Seamless integration of technology development into a selective project portfolio, and support of opportunity development in electrification.
• Technology development - Ideation and discovery of technologies relevant to the electrification platform and understanding of relevant external (joint)industry projects or technology programs. Represent Shell in selected external bodies and at conferences
• Technology development - Management and development of R&D program elements in the technology maturation funnel on Electrification in line with the Business Management System and the Deliver Technology Standard.
• Technology development - Conduct technical due diligence for other electrification technologies in close collaboration with the business and provide as needed technical support. Provide techno-economic analysis of new technologies/opportunities. Ensures consistency and provides guidance on where Shell will collaborate with third parties.
• Apply the Shell R&D and project delivery framework to mature all opportunities. This requires focus on the expected outcomes and understanding of the inherent value drivers and risk environment, enabling quality decisions and involving the right people at the right time.
• Drive HSSE excellence for all staff and operations with special emphasis on work conducted externally.
• Develop understanding of the broader carbon and energy system, the energy transition, & the role of emerging technologies.
• Knowledge maintenance and sharing. Share knowhow obtained from external collaboration within Shell via reports, presentations and personal communication
Skills and Requirements
What we need from you
It is your excellent project and technology management skills, sound technical knowhow and stakeholder management skills to drive a dynamic R&D environment in the Electrification Platform, in also closely collaborating with internal P&T experts and stakeholders in the conventional, New Energies and other hard to abate sectors.
Furthermore you will have:
Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in among other exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of oil products, chemicals, electric power, renewables and energy solutions.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.