The individual will support the Market Risk Senior Team Manager in ensuring the successful migration of activities, the development of the team and sustaining the Market Risk function in SBO Chennai. The role is to be part of a large 20-30 member team.
Market Risk: The Market Risk department is a specialized unit in Finance Operations that operates in the Chennai and Manila centers. The team has front line responsibility for risk measurement; deal valuation, exposure reporting and price validation. The department pulls together a range of expert skills that ensure accurate and timely reporting, and allow us to offer professional advice on the wide range of issues that the department gets involved in. We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork.
Market Risk Chennai: The Market Risk department in Chennai is an exciting and growing team in Finance Operations. The team has been continuously absorbing newly migrated activities over the last seven years with continued growth and more complex work will continue to be absorbed into the teams.
tasks include but are not limited to the following –
- Ensuring all trading activities in T&S remain within mandated exposure and risk limits as set by the business lines.
- Ensuring all exposures are properly recorded using established fair value methodologies.
- Ensuring insightful commentaries are produced analyzing daily/monthly P&L performance explained through performance against risk metrics and mandates.
- Working closely with Region specific risk management teams to ensure trading risks and returns are fully understood, captured and challenged where necessary.
- Actively manage internal resources to optimize the efficient analysis of risk across the portfolio, manage change and priorities accordingly.
- Assist Senior Manager to implement and maintain appropriate controls within Market Risk to ensure successful SOX and GRA attestation for activities.
- Ensuring that in a highly specialized and technical activity, due attention is paid to training and development of Market Risk team members to guarantee that the activity remains sustainable.
- Assist Senior Manager to develop effective KPI’s for risk activities and communicate this back to the business.
- Maintaining quality relationships and engagements with key business stakeholders in Risk Hubs, Commercials teams, Finance in Business etc. to ensure timely and accurate data is received and well explained.
- Embed the culture of partnering with the T&S Market Risk team and other Business Stakeholders.
- Understanding the numbers and convincingly explaining the ‘story behind them’ demonstrating and appreciation for Market Risk strategies and risk payoffs.
- The successful candidate should be motivated to 'dig into conflicting data' and resolve issues while considering the impact upon the overall business.
- Ensuring Market Risk issues are properly understood and escalated accordingly & in a timely manner.
- Awareness of external regulation, compliance and risk management best practice.
- Identify and deliver risk management advice and services as the business changes.
- Share knowledge about the trading book across all risk analysts for cover and control sustainability.
- Exploring opportunities to continuously improve tools and process supporting market risk and the organization.
- Identifying and developing staff in what is a challenging technical area with strong competition for resources.
*Skills & Requirements:
Experience and Qualifications required:
- An undergraduate degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Science, Finance or Economics is preferred with a minimum of 6 years’ experience post-graduation. A candidate with a Master’s degree is preferred.
- A good understanding of the Energy Trading landscape, associated risks and operational knowledge of Shell Trading’s systems and processes is required.
- The ideal candidate will be highly numerate, logical, have the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and be comfortable working in teams.
- Market Risk management knowledge or experience is a requirement.
- A candidate with FRM, ERP or CFA would be preferred
- Experience in Trading (Commodities or Fixed Income/Financial Markets) would be preferred
Other required competences include:
- The role requires a person who brings diversity of thought, who is not afraid to speak up and who is comfortable challenging senior commercial stakeholders.
- Candidates shall possess good judgment and shall be able to provide advice, while balancing risk and value daily.
- Strong analytical skills required; detail and accuracy oriented.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Finance and accounting skills including ability to understand financial results and financial and management reports
- Experience with risk analysis, value-at-risk, financial derivatives or physical energy markets.
- Demonstrates ability to work with cross-functional work group
- Demonstrates ability to drill down into complex data and must have a keen eye for details
- Must be able to demonstrate creativity in problem solving.