Job Description – Senior Analyst (JG7): Credit Management & Credit Assessment, Credit Operations Chennai
Purpose of Role
The 'Credit Operations’ cover three main activities: Managing Credit (MC -Assessment), Debt Collection (DC), and Cash Application and Allocation (CAA). The placeholder will be responsible for performing debt collection activities for Shell operating units under Credit Operations East - scope for India and act as a back up for Credit Assessment activities. The placeholder will also have to support the Team Manager in being the main focal for queries relating to Account Receivables in India.
(i) Debt collection activities:
- This role is the ACDC specifically for Lubes & Retail in India.
- Responsible for ensuring that customer debts are collected in line with contracted payment terms and in accordance with Downstream Credit Manual, OCM standards & relevant controls.
- Adhere to the escalation process in carrying out the debt collection activities.
- Responsible for managing release of credit blocked orders with appropriate MOA approvals where necessary
- Ensure payments are allocated to the respectively invoices
- Investigate payment discrepancy reason if the customer fails to provide it in their remittance data.
- Negotiate and recommend refinancing of overdue debts and ensure proposal are approved by appropriate MOA approvers
- Responsible in providing commentaries for monthly KPIs that are managed by COC.
- Maintain and foster good working relationships with Sales, the business and with relevant FO business partners. Coordinate with Sales and perform business account reviews on assigned portfolios
- Perform dispute initiation and monitoring of resolution in accordance with the defined SLA through close collaboration with Customer Operations.
- Handle customer queries and provide professional credit responses.
- Contribute ideas on process enhancements/improvement and where possible drive improvement initiatives once approved by sponsors
- Keep up-to-date on issues within the businesses by having close relationships with the sales managers and reading information from industry sources
- Support the Cluster Credit Manager, the Business, Team Manager, Ops and regional managers as well as other stakeholders in any credit issues or improvement plans relating to ACDC activities.
- Working virtually with colleagues in the business, DS Credit, CO, etc.
- Responsible for identifying when accounts may require legal intervention e.g. If customer is facing liquidity issues, going into liquidation etc.
- Supports the Team Manager by providing insights and identified gaps based on day to day activity to ensure India Credit Collection Strategy remain relevant
(ii) Credit Assessment activities:
Manage Credit Risk
Responsible for the risk assessment of customers, negotiating and managing security arrangements, establishment of appropriate credit limits with necessary MOA and the analysis of the overall credit exposure. Responsible for the re-assessment of credit-worthiness of customers based on re-evaluation triggers, and timelines. Provide authorized approval for the release of blocked orders in respect of credit. Perform detailed financial analysis of customer financial statements for development of a risk profile of each customer using analytical results to establish credit limits within designated authority level and prepare analysis write-up to obtain necessary MOA for decisions exceeding designated authority level.
Ensure compliance with Global Downstream Credit policy, OCM standards & SOX controls. Meet/communicate with customer’s senior finance and business leaders to establish understanding of customer’s financial condition and business model as needed to complete credit analysis and to negotiate security when financial condition does not support credit exposure. Manage security arrangements to ensure timely actions taken to renew or replace expiring security instruments.
Manage Accounts Receivable
Responsible for ensuring that both ‘Proactive’ and ‘Reactive’ credit control takes place and ensuring that customers’ debt are collected in line with contracted payment terms. Ensure timely reassessment for triggers generated by significant delay in payment behavior, or negative business outlook. The authority’s decision would also need to be executed and documented by this role. Recognize financial risk situations on Trade Receivable Accounts. Exercise manual blocking of orders on high financial risk and seriously delinquent accounts. Recommend A/R provisions for bad debt.
- Businesses covered: Downstream Business (India - Local Lubes & Retail)
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelors’ Degree in Finance/Accountancy or and /or a Master’s in Finance/Accounting
- Min 2-4 years of experience in related accounting and/or collection processes
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office skills
- Added advantage if candidate has knowledge of SAP or any ERP systems
- Able to converse well in English and Hindi
- This role requires to lead any initiatives/ projects within the ACDC scope as well as to lead identification and realization of value both as a USD Business Impact outside FO as well as to improve cost efficiency within FO.
- This role act as the point of reference for operational issues i.e. SME for ACDC and to assist in the coordination and control of the activities delivered by the team achieving excellence in performance and works closely with other ACDC within the India Cluster.
- The role requires high level of negotiation skills and involves maximising commercial opportunities whilst taking acceptable risks. This will require creating very good working relationships with the local Credit Team, Sales and other FO business partners.
- This role would require a deep understanding of the Credit Strategy especially in Lubes and retail and is able to articulate and explain the strategy to all stakeholders at different levels
- This role is also expected to hold several roles such as Super User as well as BCP and IO focal.
- Receivable management (Skill)
- Business partnering (Knowledge)
- Interpersonal and communication (Skill)
- Credit Risk Assessment (Skill)
- Manage Operational Credit Risk (Skill)
- Business Partnering (Skill)
- Governance & Compliance (Skill)
- Accounting & Reporting (Knowledge)
- Project Management (Knowledge)
- Data & Digital Skills (Knowledge)
- Analyses and Solves Problems (Skill)
- Accounting and Reporting (Knowledge)
- Continuous Improvement (Knowledge)
- Data analytics and Problem Solving (Skill)