Where you fit in
Shell Trading and Supply is the world’s largest energy trading business and operates in every major energy market around the world. It supports the Shell group businesses by trading natural gas, electrical power, crude oil, refined products, biofuels, chemical feedstocks, freight, and environmental products. Shell Trading and Supply also manages one of the world's largest fleets of liquefied natural gas carriers and oil tankers and provides maritime expertise and logistics to Shell companies and external customers. Our aim is to create value for Shell’s shareholders, customers, and counterparties across the globe by forging successful partnerships that generate mutually beneficial commercial opportunities.
The Market Risk Operations Team is responsible for ensuring that risk processes are operated efficiently and accurately, and that controls in both the risk area and front office are performed correctly. The Market Risk Operations Analyst reports to the Manager of Market Risk Operations. The candidate will need to be comfortable with working independently with limited supervision at times and be able to thrive as part of a global team with members in the US, UK, India, and Singapore.
The goal is to ensure that all data needed for portfolio valuation is complete, timely and accurate, and that systems and controls are in place to ensure compliance with the global Risk Management framework.
What’s the role?
This role will work closely with the other risk teams across the Trading and Supply business including a significant Business Operations component, regular discussions with Market Risk, Valuation, Front Office, Finance and Back Office, and a focal point for forward curve and pricing related queries from across the Shell group.
More specific responsibilities include:
- The Market Risk Operations group is responsible for maintaining observable valuation inputs e.g., exchange prices, broker quotes, derivable volatilities, and correlations to risk calculations.
- Understand physical spot price assessments and the construction of forward curves.
- Working with Market Risk analysts and traders to come up with the best forward curves possible, and to implement them in the trading systems alongside the Business Operations team.
- Regularly review assumptions and estimates in our valuation curves to ensure that they are suitable and up to date.
- Manage user testing of systems functionality and enhancements while providing feedback to key stakeholders.
- Must be a systems and data expert ensuring that knowledge around market risk reference data & forward curve construction is well documented for the benefit of the wider Market Risk team. . Ensure process excellence, identifying bottlenecks in Risk processes. Implementing error-checking as a natural part of all processes so output is ‘Right First Time’.
- Support digitalization and automation to smooth the flow of information across the business and to remove manual tasks.
- Map and document processes, clarify accountabilities, and simplify interfaces to allow the smooth running of the Risk organization.
- Be an end-to-end deal expert understanding risk at all parts during the life of a deal interacting with the functional experts to help identify and suggest remediation to those risks.
- Implement Shell best practices in commodity trading risk management.
- Ensure that Risk fulfils its role as an independent “check and balance” function and is viewed as such by other parts of the organization.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement by having the courage to challenge established processes. This includes identifying inefficiencies in local and global operations and opportunities to streamline and automate shared processes and interfaces.
- Excellent communication skills: the role will require writing reports and policies and presenting analysis and insights to senior stakeholders. Due to the global nature of the business the role requires communicating using different methods, in a variety of formats, to people in many countries.
- Ability to articulate and communicate complex scenarios and ideas in a clear and concise manner whilst understanding the perspective and experience of others. Ability to challenge sensitive issues constructively whilst maintaining working relationships.
- This is a role for a person who brings diversity of thought, who is not afraid to speak up and who is comfortable challenging senior stakeholders.
- Proactively identify and communicate potential issues with the appropriate teams or stakeholders. Making sure problems raised are followed up and worked on until completion.
- Able to collaborate and produce good quality output working with colleagues in different teams who report to different managers.
- Team player, good interpersonal skills. Flexible to work with colleagues across numerous time zones with both Market Risk at the Trading Hubs in the Americas, Europe and Asia; but equally the Business Operations centers in Chennai, Manilla, Bangalore.
- The role works closely with risk analysts in all parts of the risk management department including a significant Business Operations component. The incumbent is tasked with ensuring that the business that they cover is widely understood and that any changes to it or the supporting risk management framework are communicated properly to all stakeholders.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the UK on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Candidate must have proven years of working experience within a trading, financial or risk management organization
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Mathematics, Science, Engineering or IT, or workplace experience in the energy trading industry.
- Candidate must have knowledge of financial, commodity and energy markets, derivative instruments, and hedging which could have been gained in a Market Risk, Product Control or Trade Control roles.
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills, such as pivot tables, lookups, VBA macros. SQL and Python an advantage, other coding languages can also be useful.
- Experience with Endur, DEX or comparable energy trading risk management system.
- Also, this is a role for a person who brings diversity of thought, who is not afraid to speak up and who is comfortable challenging stakeholders.
Be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Reliable, dependable, and disciplined. Excellent attention to detail, methodical, organized.
- A trusted partner of the business.
- Resilient when working under pressure, with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet key deadlines
- Good judgement to provide advice, question discrepancies, escalate issues
- Continuous improvement mindset: utilizing tools to streamline and automate work to boost efficiency
- Scientific mindset: identify, investigate, analyze, research, discuss, record, and resolve issues
- Learner mindset; innovative and creative, excellent problem-solving capabilities
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development program. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalization and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.