Be a part of something powerful at America's leading energy provider!
At Exelon, our people are the heart and soul of our business. Whether it's powering lives, supporting communities or collaborating with colleagues, an Exelon employee is talented, compassionate, forward-thinking and inspired. We are a Fortune 200 company united by our values and shared vision for a cleaner and brighter future. We encourage curiosity, value diverse perspectives and we never stop looking for ways to be, work and do better. We know the future is in our hands. That's why we're looking for people like you, who have the power to make a difference.
As the nation's largest utility company, we serve more than 10 million customers through six fully regulated transmission and distribution utilities -- Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE), Commonwealth Edison (ComEd), Delmarva Power & Light (DPL), PECO Energy Company (PECO), and Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco). All 18,000 of us are committed to delivering safe, reliable and affordable energy to our customers, strengthening our communities, supporting a clean energy future and reducing our impact on the changing climate.
Our people are empowered to evolve and advance their careers in an open and inclusive environment. We pride ourselves on being the kind of place where people want to come, stay and grow -- whether that's in the role and path they start in or in new and exciting career opportunities across our business. We know that investing in our employees' futures strengthens ours, which is why we offer competitive compensation, incentives, opportunities for career path changes, and health and retirement benefits.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Plan and manage resources, finances, scope and services within a functional area of Information Technology to deliver business results. Provide IT products, services and solutions on time, within budget and with the required functionality. Establish, maintain and enhance relationships with clients. Participate in developing and implementing strategy/policy. Manage large-scale projects of high complexity, size and change management risk.
The person filling this role will be responsible for managing Unix/Linux Server and Storage infrastructure consisting of physical and virtual on-premises and third-party cloud-based servers and storage with a geographically dispersed team of full-time employees and contractors. This will include the day-to-day operations of the server and storage environments, driving the future roadmap for the various technologies, maintaining security by ensuring thorough patching/vulnerability remediation and employee development.
Participate in developing and implementing strategy/policy, with a focus on automation and zero touch models in support of this operation. Manage a platform of high complexity and scale, while mitigating change management risk in support of daily operations and the transitional support of projects.
A successful Operations Manager will drive the deployment and operations of new and existing services; find ways to improve and automate our services and provide mentoring for junior team members. The right candidate for this position has a strong and diverse technical background that allows them to approach any problem with confidence and ingenuity. This opportunity is ideal if you are a technical, detail-oriented leader who can build and grow teams; excel at hiring and developing both systems level administrators and engineers.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Lead and manage IT staff and resources in accordance with IT Business Plan. For operations & maintenance: Plan and manage to the defined service level agreements at agreed upon budgets and operational metrics.
- Oversee process improvement efforts and ensure adoption of standard processes and procedures that deliver sustainable top quartile cost and performance levels.
- Establish, maintain, and enhance relationships with business and IT partners. Communicate status to key stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Maintain current business knowledge/acumen, including a focus on the Customer experience to deliver business value.
- Evaluate performance and provide coaching for IT personnel. Participate in career development and succession planning processes. Promote diversity and foster teamwork, collaboration, and a learning organization. Provide input on development and retention processes for IT employees.
- Effectively manage 3rd party strategic partners including offshore technicians and services to ensure 24x7 support of the Unix/Linux/Storage Service areas.
- Be accountable for your service area and present monthly reporting on KPI’s to Senior Leadership using presentations, analytics, and quantitative data to drive continuous improvement.
- Prepare and manage budget for area of responsibility.
- Total Staff Managed: 5 to 20
- Utilize understanding of customer's business needs to determine requirements and help set direction.
- Determine and helps others learn appropriate theories, practices and principles that relate to their skill set portfolio and related sciences and disciplines.
- Make judicious decisions in familiar and new situations and contributes to strategic decisions.
- Represent business client's perspective with IT team
- Dimensions: Span of control (generally 10), level of budget control, technical/business complexity, risk, criticality of assignment to business
- Budget Management specific to area of accountability.
- Operate independently with little or no supervision.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline and typically 8 to 10 years experience in in the management of on-premises, Collocation Hosting, and/or Cloud Operations or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Appropriate technical skills in the field of Cloud Hosting and Storage technologies, to include (but not limited to) Cloud providers (Azure or Oracle Cloud Infrastructure preferred) VMware, HPE ProLiant Servers, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Solaris, Dell/EMC Powermax/VMAX SAN storage, Data Domains, NetApp NAS, OnTap, Veritas NetBackup.
- Experience and effective management of the automation (Bash/Python) of Unix and Storage related workflows, incident management and zero touch incident resolution
- Experience with Ansible, Ansible Tower, and administrative shell scripting is preferred.
- Experience with Red Hat Satellite.
- Proficient Experience with UNIX/LINUX operating systems including RHEL7/RHEL8 and Solaris.
- Exposure to an Agile DevOps methodology. (scrums, stories, backlogs, iterations, CI/CD Pipelines)
- Demonstrate the ability to leverage data analytics and metrics to improve service levels and drive efficiencies in services
- Strong knowledge of business practices and processes in Change, Incident & Problem Management
- Experience managing enterprise vendors and services to contracts and SLA’s.
- Makes judicious decisions in familiar and new situations and contributes to strategic decisions.
- Represents the Customer perspective within IT team.
- Must be very organized
- Must be able to obtain and allocate resources
- Must be approachable by both staff and customers
- Requires excellent people manager skills to allow for motivating and mentoring a world-class support engineering and administration team.
- Operates independently with little or no supervision.
- Strong judgment and excellent analytical ability.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to work effectively with all levels of IT and business management and with vendors.
- Experience managing budgets for functional area of responsibility.
- Graduate degree
- ITIL Certified
- Exposure to ServiceNow
- Web Servers (Apache, Sun One Web servers)
- Application Servers (WebLogic, WebSphere)
- Databases (Oracle, SQL server, Sybase)
- Middleware (Tibco, Apigee, Fusion),
- Understanding of Programming languages (Java, Perl, C/C++)
- Thorough understanding of security, network architectures and protocols
- Knowledge of EMC PowerMax, Vmax storage arrays
- Knowledge of NetApp storage with Snap Mirror, CIFS, NFS and PCP protocols
- Knowledge of various operating systems as it relates to fiber channel connected LUNs, Unix MPIO, PowerPath
- Previous experience in managing an offshore service provider for various services including off hours support.