Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Venn by Two Sigma helps institutional investors of all sizes embrace a modern, quantitative, and intuitive approach to multi-asset portfolio risk management and investment decision making. Venn combines Two Sigma’s expertise in technology and factor-based investment analysis with a modern platform for data-driven portfolio decisions. Venn’s global clients include investment offices of Pensions, Endowments, Foundations, Single and Multi-Family offices, Insurance Companies, Investment Consultants, and Asset Managers. These investment professionals use Venn to drive:
- Investment Evaluation and Comparisons
- Manager Due Diligence and Monitoring
- Portfolio Construction and Optimization
- Factor-based Risk Analysis
- Reporting and Data Visualization
Learn more about Venn here: https://www.venn.twosigma.com/
We are looking for a motivated finance and technology lawyer to lead our Legal & Regulatory function within Venn. The Senior Counsel will collaborate closely with Venn's leadership, and will lead the evolution and management of a strategic function. You will be responsible for providing advice and cross-functional support across corporate governance, product development, marketing, sales and data strategy, all within a registered investment advisory (RIA) framework.
The ideal candidate should be a self-starter, an efficient multi-tasker with an adaptable approach to problem solving. You will work with business partners in a dynamic and fast-paced environment driving meaningful impact. You should be comfortable working in a technical, software development environment alongside product, engineering, finance, sales and marketing professionals.
As the leader of this group you should possess self-awareness, maturity and irreproachable integrity. Knowledge of financial markets and demonstrated curiosity about investing is preferred.
If you are passionate about joining a fast-paced, diverse team, we would love to meet you!
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Lead and scale the legal, regulatory and compliance function for Venn.
- Oversee the continued evolution of policies and procedures to ensure that Venn remains compliant with relevant rules and regulations in the U.S. and abroad.
- Draft and negotiate complex agreements in support of the company’s licensing, product development, sales, marketing and partnership activities.
- Provide strategic insights into the legal and regulatory implications of product features.
- Supervise and support an existing team of dedicated in-house legal and compliance professionals.
- Manage corporate governance and structural evolution typical of a growth stage technology company.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with service providers (including external counsel) globally.
- Collaborate with and advise colleagues across Venn, as well as Venn’s CEO and business board, on the growth strategy for the company.
You should possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum 7 years of experience required; preferred 10+ years of experience advising financial services firms and/or technology companies (such as SaaS companies) operating in the finance space.
- Preferred 3+ years of experience advising growth stage FinTech companies is preferred.
- Law degree required; Member of the New York Bar.
- Substantive working knowledge of applicable securities regulation, including regulations promulgated under the Advisers Act, and familiarity with cross-border financial services regulation (including marketing) globally.
- Successful track record in developing scalable processes and best practices relating to drafting, negotiation and compliance with licensing, partnership, confidentiality and other business-critical agreements.
- Well versed in managing, retaining and scaling a legal function and/or team.
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
- Hybrid Work Policy: Flexible in-office days with budget for home office setup
The base pay for this role is anticipated to be between $250,000 and $325,000. The anticipated base pay range is based on information as of the time this post was generated. This role may also be eligible for other forms of compensation and benefits, such as a discretionary bonus, health, dental and other wellness plans and 401(k) contributions. Discretionary bonus can be a significant portion of total compensation. Actual compensation for successful candidates will be carefully determined based on a number of factors, including their skills, qualifications and experience.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.